Introduce different hats with any of these wonderful stories:
- Which Hat Is That? By Anna Grossnickle Hines
- The Hat Book by Leonard Shortall
- Hats? By Dana Meachen Rau
- Zara's Hats by Paul Meisel
- Hats Off to Hats by Sara Corbett
- The Hatseller and the Monkeys by Baba Wague Diakite
- Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina
Hats off to hometown heroes! Have student write to local heroes and ask them about their favorite books. Showcase these hometown heroes and their choices in you reading celebration.
Have students make a list of hats that denote jobs (ex: fireman's hat, chef's hat, etc.). Draw a person wearing a hat. Have students write about it. For younger students, provide the prompt, "When I grow up. I want to be a ..."
Check out NEA's website here for more ideas!